Our specialist team covers a broad skill base to identify high-quality spinout opportunities and perform intensive research and due diligence.
We offer ongoing support to our portfolio of investments with team members working with each company as board representatives, helping to maximise the return to our investors.
Our Scientific Partners are world-leading specialists in their respective fields. They aid our identification and validation of the latest scientific breakthroughs with high commercial impact, while further ingraining our standing as a preferred investor in the UK university spinout ecosystem.
Commercial Advisory Board
Our commercial advisers draw on vast commercial and entrepreneurial experience from a range of industries. They are a highly valuable resource to our portfolio of spinout companies, providing access to a wealth of know-how and high-calibre contacts.
George is Founder of OIC and a Partner and co-Founder of Sloane Robinson LLP, an investment management business which invests in listed equities globally, with a particular focus on Asian and Emerging Markets.
Prior to this he worked for 15 years in Asia, initially for John Swire and Sons and then for Asian-based stockbroker WI Carr (Far East) in Korea, Thailand and Hong Kong where he was Director of Regional Research.
George is an active investor in early stage technology and biotech companies with a particular focus on Oxford spinouts, and is a founding Partner of Technikos, a private equity partnership which invests in spinout companies from the Oxford Institute of Biomedical Engineering.
George is an honorary fellow of Keble College, Oxford where he graduated with a BA in Engineering Science, and is a former-member of Oxford University Endowment Management’s Investment Committee.
Christopher has had a career in telecommunications, technology, finance and law, working in North and South America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
In early 2017 he stepped down as a partner in the London Office of Latham & Watkins, a global law firm, having worked primarily on private equity, M&A and capital markets matters. Prior to that, he was Executive Vice President of a pan-European data communications company with responsibilities including M&A and capital markets issuances.
Christopher has served on the Boards of a number of companies in the technology sector, in the Healthcare, IT, Financial, Education and HR sectors.
In his spare time Christopher enjoys traveling to distant destinations, very occasionally sampling a glass of the local wine.
Dr Jane Smit
Partner and CIO
Jane has had a diverse career spanning institutional venture capital, biotech and pharmaceutical equity research, and commercial clinical and diagnostic oncology research.
Jane was a Partner with SEP, a top 10 global tech VC, and Managing Partner and Global Head of Life Sciences with Dresdner Kleinwort Capital. She was one of the City’s first top-rated sell side Biotech Analysts with UK biotech pioneer Kleinwort Benson and has helped to raise funds for numerous private and public life science companies. A Life Sciences thought leader, she has been involved in many boards, committees, government and industry initiatives to support sector growth. She has a PhD (Medical Faculty Scholarship) in immuno-oncology from Edinburgh University.
When not searching for the next medical scientific breakthrough, Jane spends most of her time with family tracing the footsteps of the great artists of the 20th century in the French Riviera.
James joined OIC in January 2018 following a 15-year tenure managing the University of Oxford’s technology spinout portfolio, latterly as Director of Oxford Spinout Equity Management.
James began his career as a software engineer in industry after graduating in Engineering Science from the University of Oxford, and later gained his MBA at Cranfield University. He brings over 25 years’ experience as a venture capital advisor and investor, both at the seed and later stage, to the OIC partnership. James has made and managed investments in many technology and life science spinout companies which have been successfully sold or taken public, including NaturalMotion, Oxitec, Oxford Immunotec, Immunocore and Adaptimmune. When he left the University at the end of 2017 the portfolio comprised shareholdings in over 100 technology companies spanning life sciences and other technology.
When not passionately engaged in activities directly related to the latest technological developments he can usually be found somewhere on the courts, courses or pitches of Oxfordshire with racket or club in hand.
Ross is a Founder of OIC and a Senior Partner of Windsor Private Office, heading a team that specialises in the provision of bespoke wealth management and financial planning services to high net worth individuals and Family Offices.
Ross is a serial entrepreneur and has established a number of businesses in a variety of market sectors and successfully raised finance to ensure their success and continued growth. This has included several which have qualified under HMRC’s Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) rules to allow investors favourable tax treatment of their investment.
Ross was also an executive director of the British Racing Drivers’ Club which owns Silverstone race circuit, home of the Formula 1 British Grand Prix.
Having retired “from motor racing” more times than Frank Sinatra, most summer weekends again find Ross hurtling around European and UK race tracks.
Principal and CFO
Tania has over 16 years’ career experience in finance, with a particular focus on valuation and transactions in the software and computer services sector.
Prior to joining OIC in early 2019, Tania was a Director in PricewaterhouseCoopers, where she led the Valuations practice across the South-East region. She has also worked in a boutique corporate finance practice, where she advised privately-owned businesses on sell-side transactions. She is a Chartered Management Accountant and holds an MPhil in Economics (Oxford) and a BA in Mathematics (Cambridge).
She currently represents OIC on three company boards and was until recently a Trustee of a large Oxfordshire charity. She also writes for the renowned UK technology sector analyst publication TechMarketView.
Outside of the world of venture capital and technology, Tania is a sports enthusiast and enjoys spending time outdoors with her young family.
Will has over 15 years’ experience in investment management, having formally worked for Sloane Robinson as an investment analyst and assistant fund manager.
Together with his role at OIC, Will currently works for Somercourt Investments, a private investment office, and is the portfolio manager of Technikos LLP, a Biomedical Engineering fund established to support the commercialisation of biomedical opportunities spun-out of Oxford University’s Institute of Biomedical Engineering.
Will has a number of board roles with Oxford spinout companies including Caristo Diagnostics, Oxford Brain Diagnostics and Oxford Enhanced Medical. Will has a BA in History from Melbourne University.
A lot of Will’s spare time is consumed with playing cricket and the needs and demands of a young family.
Frederick joined OIC in early 2017 after spending time in a research capacity with the Social Tech Trust (formerly Nominet Trust), the UK’s largest social tech funder.
Since joining OIC, Frederick has sourced, analysed and executed a number of investments in the Digital Tech, Cleantech and Chemical & Industrial spaces, acting as a Board member on OTIF portfolio companies Brill Power and Oxford Quantum Circuits.
He has an MPhil in Development Studies from the University of Oxford, with an emphasis on Political Economy, and a Bachelor of Environments majoring in Urban Design & Planning with First Class Honours from the University of Melbourne.
Dr Yara Alenzai
Yara joined OIC in February 2020 after completing her DPhil in Cardiovascular Medicine at the University of Oxford.
Yara’s research focused on targeting the inflammatory pathway in disease using novel therapeutics derived from ticks. Her research contributed to two patents and was published in four research articles in top scientific journals. Prior to this Yara completed her BSc (Hons) in Biomedical Sciences and MSc in Biomedicine at the University of Portsmouth.
Alexander joined OIC in 2019 after graduating from the University of Edinburgh where he studied Geography BSc.
Alexander has conducted various research based internships including at New Street Research, an independent research boutique focused on the Telecommunications and Technology sectors globally, as well as with Seraphim Capital, the UK’s first dedicated space technology venture fund.
While studying at university, Alexander also worked for events start up, FIXR, as Head Brand Manager for Edinburgh sourcing BD opportunities and leading a team of sales people.
On the weekends, Alexander can most likely be found with a cricket bat in hand, playing for his home village.
Events and Office Manager
Helen provides office management support to OIC.
She has over 20 years’ experience in office management roles for investment banks and in running her own small business providing office management and event organisation services to companies. After graduating with a BA in German and French, she worked on the trading floor of Merrill Lynch in London. She has also worked for the Private Equity Life Sciences team at Dresdner Kleinwort Capital London and Goldman Sachs in Frankfurt.
In her spare time, she enjoys discovering walks in the Cotswolds with her dog and, when it’s possible to travel, spending time in Germany
Prof Byron Byrne
Civil engineer with world-leading expertise in offshore engineering and renewable energy
- Professor of Engineering Science, University of Oxford
- Ørsted/Royal Academy of Engineering Research Chair in Advanced Geotechnical Design
- Director, The Oxford Science Park Ltd
- Consultant to various companies in the offshore engineering industry
- Multiple awards inc. British Geotechnical Association Fleming Award (2017) for Excellence in Design and Innovation in Geotechnics and OU Commercial Impact Award (2019) for Offshore Wind Turbine Foundation Design
Prof Charlotte Williams
Award-winning inorganic chemist and entrepreneur
- Professor of Inorganic Chemistry, University of Oxford
- Prof of Inorganic Chemistry, Imperial College, London
- Founder and CSO, Econic Technologies Ltd (WISE award 2015)
- DECHEMA, Otto Roelen Medal (2018), Royal Society of Chemistry, Corday Morgan Medal (2016), RSC Macro Group UK Medal 2019 (polymer chemistry prize)
Prof Constantin Coussios
Award-winning serial MedTech entrepreneur
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering, University of Oxford
- Director, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, University of Oxford
- Founder and CTO of OrganOx Ltd, OxSonics Ltd and OrthoSon Ltd
- Royal Academy of Engineering, Silver Medal (2017)
Prof Henry Snaith
Award winning physicist and materials scientist
- Professor of Physics, Clarendon Laboratory, University of Oxford
- Fellow, Royal Society of London
- Founder and CSO, Oxford Photovoltaics Ltd
- Institute of Physics, James Joule Medal and Prize (2017)
Prof Niki Trigoni
Award-winning computer scientist focused on intelligent and autonomous sensor systems
- Professor of Computing Science, University of Oxford
- Lead, Cyber Physical Systems Group
- Founder and CT Navenio Ltd
- Founder and Director of EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training on Autonomous Intelligent Machines and Systems, University of Oxford (2014-2019)
- Multiple awards for positioning (IPSN 2014, EWSN 2013, 2014, SENSYS 2010)
Prof Sarah Blagden
Leading early stage clinical oncology expert
- Associate Professor of Cancer Therapeutics, University of Oxford
- Director of Early Phase Trials Unit, University of Oxford
- Director, Early Cancer Trials Unit, Imperial College, London
- Founder and Director, RNA Guardian Ltd
Prof Tim Denison
Pioneering academic and commercial neurotech engineer
- Professor of Engineering Science and Clinical Neurosciences, University of Oxford
- Royal Academy of Engineering, Chair in Emerging Technologies
- Fellow, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIBME)
- Former Technical Fellow and VP, Research, Medtronic plc
Seasoned venture capitalist and healthcare investment banker
- Founder and Managing Partner, GT Healthcare Ventures Ltd, Asia
- Head of Asia Healthcare Investment Banking, Deutsche Bank AG
- Director, JAFCO, Asia Investment Group
- Director, Morningside Group
Seasoned investment banker with extensive NED experience (New York-based)
- Vice Chair, Julius Baer Group Ltd and Bank Julius Baer & Co Ltd
- Member, Supervisory Board, Deutsche Borse AG
- Former Chair, Panmure Gordon plc
- Ex-Lazard Freres, CSFB, Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan
- Non-Executive Board Member, AllianceBernstein L.P., Equitable Holdings Inc. and Play Magnus A/S
Seasoned healthcare investment banker, co-founder of quoted UK biotech sector
- Co-Founder and Director, Harwell Oxford Partners Ltd.
- Senior Advisor, STJ Advisors Group Ltd.
- Global Head of Healthcare Investment Banking (DLJ, Dresdner Kleinwort Benson Ltd)
- Investment Banker, Morgan Grenfell Ltd
- PwC qualified chartered accountant
- Co-Founder, Arisaig Partners, emerging market investment managers
- Principal of the Advisor to the Trustees of the Perivoli Fund
- Fund Manager, LGT Management Asia, Indosuez Asia (UK) and Stewart Ivory & Co. (Edinburgh)
- NED, Lindsell Train, London
Leading US healthcare investment banker (New York-based)
- MD, Healthcare Investment Banking, Cowen and Co.
- MD and Head, Healthcare Investment Banking, Susquehana Financial Group
- Founder and co-Head, Healthcare Investment Banking, Thomas Weisel Partners
- MD and co-head, Healthcare Investment Banking, Hambrecht & Quist (now JP Morgan)
Seasoned investment banker and fintech expert
- Executive Vice-Chair, The Interface Financial Group
- Strategic Adviser and Head of the Board of Directors’ Risk & Strategy Committee, MDM Bank
- MD, Finance Service Sector, Investment Banking, Rothschild
- Chair, Rothschild Russia
Technology focused thematic investment strategist
- Founder, Entext Economics & Strategy
- Consultant Economist to HK-based Pacific Basin Economic Council
- Director, IBD Technology/Healthcare Research and Sales team, Nomura International plc
- Equity Fund Manager, Royal London Asset Management Ltd
- Short-listed for Rybcynksi Prize, UK Society of Professional Economists (2018)
Seasoned leader with operational and strategic expertise in tech, defence, IT and communications industries
- CEO, Lockheed Martin UK and member of International Board
- CEO, Her Majesty’s Government Communications Centre
- Chair, Aerospace Technology Institute
- NED, The Shearwater Group plc (cybersecurity) and Reliance ascn Ltd (cybersecurity)
- Member, Motorsports Industry Association Strategic Advisory Board
- Member, Northrop Grumman European Advisory Board